WhatsApp Payments feature has made its way to the Indian market which will mean that messaging app users can start sending money to other users on the WhatsApp platform.WhatsApp Payments takes advantage of UPI (Unified Payments Interface) to let you send money to other users on the platform.
- Users can now link their bank account to their WhatsApp account via Unified Payments Interface (UPI)
- They can make payments straight to another users bank account through a WhatsApp chat
Note that the feature is only available to the mobile version of the application and not on WhatsApp Web. Also, the payment interface supports UPI services from all major banks including HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, Yes Bank, and Airtel Payments Bank.
Heres the step-by-step guide on what you have to do to enable WhatsApp UPI feature on your phone:
1. Users who already have the feature need to go to their friends profile on WhatsApp.
2. Once there, they simply need to tap the attachment (paper clip-shaped) button.
3. This will prompt them to see the payment option. They need to tap the payment option.
4. This will give them an error, saying that their friend doesnt have WhatsApp UPI feature just yet. But in reality, they have just enabled the WhatsApp UPI feature for their friend.
5. Now, you can go to the settings section within the app where you will see the payment option yourself.
6. You can now invite your friends in a similar way as per above screenshots.
Note that WhatsApp hasnt officially rolled out the feature for everyone yet. But considering that it has already made its way to the recent beta versions for both iOS and Android, the feature is most likely to be announced very soon.